- Serves: Makes 12
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus chilling
- Effort: easy
- 225 g butter, softened
- 225 g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp vanilla, bean paste
- 375 g plain flour, sifted
- 1 packet of boiled sweets
1. Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
2. In a large bowl or in a food processor, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add the egg and the vanilla bean paste and mix well. As an alternative to the paste use the seeds from one vanilla bean pod or 2 tsp vanilla extract. Add the sifted flour and thoroughly mix to a dough.
4. Split the dough in half. Roll out each half between two sheets of greaseproof paper to approximately 4mm thick and place in the fridge to chill for half an hour or until firm.
5. Cut out cookies using a 6.5cm circular cutter. Cut out the centres using a small heart shaped cutter. Prick the dotted design onto the cookie using a cocktail stick.
6. Place on a greased or lined baking sheet, chill again for a further 15 minutes or until they are completely hard again. The chilling stops the cookies from spreading and will help them keep their shape whilst baking.
7. Keep re-rolling the scraps and chilling again between two sheets of baking paper until you have used up all the dough.
8. Add a red boiled sweet to each heart shaped hole and bake in the oven for approximately 10 minutes until the cookies are golden brown on the edges.
9. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the tray.
Rate This Recipe