- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes plus chilling
- Effort: medium
For the pastry:
- 225 g plain flour
- 100 g unsalted butter
- 100 g icing sugar
- 4 eggs, yolks
For the filling:
- 600 ml double cream
- 1 vanilla pod, split lengthways
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 75 g lightlight muscovado sugar
- 12 blackberries
For the blackberry and apple sauce:
- 450 g blackberries
- 1 large cooking apple, peeled, cored and finely diced
- 115 g caster sugar
1. For the pastry: combine the flour, butter, icing sugar and yolks in a food processor and pulse until a dough is formed. Wrap the dough in cling film and refrigerate for an hour.
2. Roll the chilled pastry out and use it to line a deep, fluted 20cm flan tin. Lightly prick the base with a fork and chill again for 20 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 200ºC/gas 6. Line the pastry case with greaseproof paper, fill with baking beans and bake blind for 15 minutes. Take out and lower the oven temperature to 150ºC/gas 2. Remove the paper from the pastry case and return it to the oven for 12 minutes until the pastry is golden. Remove.
4. For the filling: bring the cream and vanilla pod slowly to the boil in a saucepan. Remove from the heat and leave the vanilla to infuse until cool. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla pod into the cream.
5. Beat the eggs and the egg yolk in a large mixing bowl with the muscovado sugar. Add the cooled cream and mix well.
6. Arrange the blackberries in the pastry case, pour over the vanilla cream and bake in the oven at 150C/gas 2 for 30 - 40 minutes until very softly set. Leave to cool.
7. For the blackberry and apple sauce: cook the blackberries and apple in a heavy-based saucepan for 20 minutes over a low heat, stirring now and then. Stir in the sugar.
8. Serve the tart in slices with the blackberry and apple sauce.
Rate This Recipe