- Serves: makes 1 litre
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus chilling and freezing
- Effort: medium
- 250 ml milk
- 750 ml double cream
- 2 vanilla pods, roughly chopped
- 11 egg yolks
- 225 g caster sugar
- 6 tbsp broken pieces of meringues
1. Pour the milk and cream into a large saucepan. Add the chopped vanilla pods and bring just to the boil. Remove from the heat and allow to cool a little.
2. Put the egg yolks in a large bowl. Add the sugar and beat for several minutes until smooth.
3. Pour in the milk and cream, whisking well. Pour back into the pan and gradually heat until the bubbles disappear.
4. Pour the mixture through a sieve to get rid of the vanilla pods. Allow to cool completely.
5. Chill in an ice cream machine, following the manufacturer's instructions.
6. Transfer the ice cream to a bowl and stir in the meringue pieces. Pour into a freezer-proof container, cover the surface with cling film and freeze for several hours until hard.
Rate This Recipe