- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 2-3 hrs chilling time
- Effort: medium
For the Vanilla Cream:
- 250 ml double cream
- 40 g caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 sheets leaf gelatine, soaked in cold water for 10 minutes
- 6 sprigs mint, to garnish
For the Deep Fried Plums:
- 100 g plain flour
- 100 g cornflour
- 1 egg yolk
- milk, to mix
- 3 plums, stoned and quartered
- 50 g icing sugar
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
1. In a small saucepan simmer together the cream, sugar and vanilla pod very gently for 10 minutes. Remove the vanilla pod, slice it open and scrape out the seeds into the cream mixture, discarding the pod.
2. Remove the cream mixture from direct heat. Stir in the softened gelatine until dissolved. Pass the cream mixture through a sieve.
3. Divide the cream mixture among 6 dariole moulds, cool and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
4. To deep-fry the plums first make the batter. Sift the flour and cornflour into a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the egg yolk.
5. Mix in the yolk and gradually beat in enough milk to form a smooth, thick batter.
6. Roll the plum quarters in icing sugar then dip them into the batter.
7. In a deep fat-fryer or wok heat the oil for deep-frying until very hot. Fry the battered plum quarters until golden-brown and crispy. Drain on kitchen paper and dust with icing sugar.
8. Turn the vanilla creams out from their moulds and serve, garnished with mint, with the freshly cooked deep-fried plums.
Rate This Recipe