- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus freezing
- Effort: medium
- 1 vanilla pod
- 300 ml single cream
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- vanilla sugar, to taste
- 300 ml double cream, referably unpasteurized organic
- chocolate sauce, to serve
1. Cut along the length of the vanilla pod with the tip of a knife. Insert a teaspoon and firmly pull it along the length of the pod, scraping out the seeds.
2. Put the seeds in a saucepan with the single cream. Bring just to boiling point, then remove from the heat and leave to infuse for 10-15 minutes.
3. Pour the mixture on to the egg yolks, whisk well to blend then return to the pan.
4. Whisk over low heat until the mixture thickens perceptibly and coats a spoon. Do not try and hurry this by turning up the heat - the mixture will curdle. Sweeten to taste with vanilla sugar and leave to cool.
5. Whisk the double cream until stiff. Gently fold in the vanilla mixture, mixing thoroughly.
6. Freeze in an ice cream maker following the manufacturer's instructions. Alternatively pour into a shallow freezer-proof container, cover the surface with cling film and freeze until firm.
Rate This Recipe