- Serves: Makes 2 litres
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus at least 4 hrs freezing
- Effort: medium
- 4 vanilla pods, split lengthways
- 1 litres whipping cream
- 1 litres single cream
- 17 egg yolks
- 300 g sugar
1. Using the tip of a small knife, scrape the seeds from the vanilla pods.
2. Put the pods and seeds in a large heavy-based saucepan. Pour in the whipping cream and bring slowly to a gentle simmer.
3. Add the single cream and simmer very gently without allowing the mixture to boil.
4. Beat the egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl for about 5 minutes until thick and pale, and the beaters leave a trail when lifted from the mixture.
5. Temper the yolks slowly by adding a small amount of the warm cream mixture to the eggs. Stir this mixture into the rest of cream. Stirring constantly, cook over very low heat until thickened (60°C on a sugar thermometer) - the mixture should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon and leave a clear clean line when a finger passes through.
6. Strain through a fine sieve and leave until completely cool. Pour into a freezer-proof container and freeze, or use an ice cream maker following the manufacturer's instructions.
Rate This Recipe