- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus cooling, plus chilling
- Effort: easy
- 4 tbsp cornflour
- 90 g granulated sugar
- 500 ml milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Mix together the cornflour and sugar in a bowl. Stir in just enough of the milk to form a thin paste.
2. Bring the rest of the milk to the boil in a non-stick saucepan. Pour the hot milk into the cornflour paste in a thin, steady stream, stirring constantly.
3. Return the mixture to the pan and bring to the boil over a moderate heat, stirring constantly. Once the mixture boils adjust the heat to a gentle simmer and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
4. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
5. Lay a piece of greaseproof paper directly on the custard and slightly up the sides of the pan, to prevent a skin forming. Cool the mixture, then chill in the refrigerator.
6. Once the vanilla mixture is thoroughly chilled, strain into an ice cream maker and churn for around 20 minutes until the mixture thickens into ice cream. Serve.
Rate This Recipe