- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 kg potatoes, peeled and chopped
- black pepper
- 150 ml milk
- 1 vanilla pod, slit open lengthways
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 strips of rashers of smoked streaky bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, sliced
1. Cook the potatoes in a large pan of salted boiling water until tender. Drain, mash and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
2. Meanwhile, place the milk in a small saucepan. Scrape out the vanilla pod seeds and add them and the pod to the milk. Bring to a gentle simmer, then set aside to infuse.
3. Heat the vegetable oil in a frying pan. Add in the bacon and onion and fry, stirring occasionally, until browned.
4. Strain the infused milk into the mashed potato and mash together well. Stir in the bacon and onion. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper. Serve.
Rate This Recipe