- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 450 ml milk
- 4 tbsp caster sugar
- 125 ml condensed milk
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 pinches salt
- 1 tbsp powdered gelatine, dissolved (follow the packet instructions)
- 50 g pecans, roughly chopped
- 6 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp icing sugar, to serve
For the vanilla waffles
- 250 g plain flour
- 1 pinches salt
- 0.5 tbsp baking powder
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- 250 ml milk
- 2 drops vanilla essence
1. Mix the milk, sugar and condensed milk in a blender.
2. Add the vanilla essence, salt, and dissolved gelatine. Whiz for 1 minute and pour into an ice cream machine.
3. Add the pecans and churn for about 35-40 minutes, until frozen.
4. Pour the maple syrup slowly in to create a rippling effect. Store in the freezer until required.
5. To make the waffle batter, sieve the flour, salt, and baking powder into a bowl, then make a well in the centre.
6. Beat the egg yolks until creamy and whisk the egg whites in a separate bowl until stiff and fluffy.
7. Pour the melted butter into the flour, then the egg yolks, milk and vanilla essence and mix well. Fold in the beaten eggs whites.
8. Heat a non-stick waffle iron and pour a little batter into each compartment. Cook for one minute. Repeat until all the remaining batter has been used up. Leave to cool.
9. Take a 20cm x 10cm sheet of greaseproof paper, lay a waffle over it, fill with ice cream, and then lay another waffle on top.
10. Fold the greaseproof paper up two of the sides and place in the freezer to firm up for 10 minutes. Serve with a dusting of icing sugar.
Rate This Recipe