- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes , plus 30 minutes steaming
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 250 g jaggery
- 250 ml water
- 200 ml coconut milk
- 5 eggs
- 1 pinches ground cardamom
- 3 tbsp clarified butter, (ghee)
- 25 g cashew nuts
- 25 g raisins
Tips and Suggestions
To make coconut milk, grate the coconut and steep in warm water. Squeeze the coconut liquid through muslin to extract the milk. If you repeat the process a second time you'll get a thicker, creamier result. Jaggery is sold from Asian grocers, if you can't get hold of it, you could use muscovado sugar instead.
1. Melt the jaggery in the water over a gentle heat. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and leave the syrup to cool.
2. Beat the eggs with the coconut milk, cardamom powder and jaggery syrup. Whisk to blend all the ingredients together for a minute or two.
3. Melt the ghee and pour it into a 500ml heatproof mould. Tip in the custard and stud the surface with cashew nuts and raisins. Steam for about 30 minutes. Remove the mould from the pan, cool and chill well before serving.
Rate This Recipe