- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 x 150-175 g veal shanks, (ossobuco)
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 cloves garlic, peeled
- 200 ml white wine
- 300 ml vegetable stock
- 1 bunches parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 lemon, finely grated zest only
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4. Pat dry each veal shank with kitchen paper. Place the flour onto a plate and lightly coat each of the veal shanks in the flour on both sides.
2. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large heavy based non stick frying pan and cook the veal ossobuco for 2 minutes on each side until golden. Remove from the pan and place into a large oven proof casserole dish.
3. Add the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil to the pan and cook and onion and garlic over a low heat for 5-6 minutes until softened but not golden. Add to the veal in the casserole dish then pour over the wine and vegetable stock.
4. Cover with a lid and place in the oven for 1 ½ hours, removing the lid for the final 15 minutes of cooking until the liquid has thickened and the veal is tender.
5. Remove from the oven, remove the garlic clove and add the chopped parsley and lemon zest and lightly toss to coat. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes before serving with risotto milanese.
Rate This Recipe