- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the main:
- 3 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- black pepper
- 100 g pecorino cheese, (Pecorino Romano, if available) freshly greated
- 200 ml milk
- 100 g boiled beetroot
- 300 g veal fillets, cut into escalopes
- 100 g flour
- 50 g butter
- 50 ml marsala
- 100 ml double cream
- half an onions, chopped
- 200 g frozen garden peas, defrosted
- 1 egg
1. Cook the potatoes in a saucepan of salted boiling water until tender. Drain, return to their pan mash and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
2. Mix the pecorino, milk and mashed beetroot into the mashed potato, blending well. Cook gently over a very low heat until thickened.
3. Meanwhile, using a cook's mallet, pound the veal escalopes until very thin and lightly coat with flour on both sides
4. Heat 25g of butter in a large, heavy-based frying pan. Fry the veal escalopes for 1 minute on each side.
5. Add the Marsala. Light the Marsala and allow it to burn down. Stir in the double cream and cook until thickened. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
6. Meanwhile, heat the remaining butter in a saucepan. Fry the onion until lightly browned, around 5 minutes. Add the defrosted peas and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
7. Break an egg into the peas and cook, stirring, until the egg is set. Serve at once.
8. Serve the veal escalopes with a touch of Marsala sauce spooned over, with the peas and the mashed potato mixture.
Rate This Recipe