- Serves: 12-15
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 45 minutes plus 30 minutes setting time and 6 hours to refridgerate
- Effort: easy
For the cake:
- 450 ml soy milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 260 g unbleached plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 60 g cocoa powder
- 60 g plain wholemeal flour
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 170 g pure maple syrup
- 100 g sunflower oil
- 1 orange, zested
- 125 g fruit jam
- 2 tsp rum, or juice from ½ orange
For the chocolate cream:
- 1.5 litres chocolate soy milk, or oat milk
- 195 g agave syrup
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2½ tsp agar powder
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 100 g vegan dark chocolate, 70% cocoa, finely chopped
Tips and Suggestions
The cake keeps in the fridge in an airtight container for 5 days.
1. For the cake: Preheat the oven to 180C/160C/gas 4 and line a 28cm springform cake tin with greaseproof paper and grease. Mix together the milk and vinegar in a bowl and set aside for 10 minutes.
2. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, cocoa and ¼ teaspoon of salt into a mixing bowl, then add the wholemeal flour and cinnamon and mix well. Add the syrup, oil and zest to the vinegar mixture and mix well. Gently fold these into the dry ingredients with a spatula. Make sure not to mix too much, otherwise the cake might turn chewy.
3. When everything is just incorporated, spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tin and spread evenly with the spatula. Bake in the preheated oven for 2025 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Spring open the cake pan and allow the cake to cool completely.
4. When the cake is cold, peel off the paper. Slice the cake in half horizontally with a large, serrated knife. You can also cut off the top if it has domed while baking and you prefer it to be flat.
5. Put the jam and rum or juice in a small saucepan and heat until it comes to the boil. Spread this over both cake layers this will make the cake moist and stop any frosting from seeping into the cake. Allow to cool.
6. Put the lower cake layer back in the cake pan and attach the springform ring and set the top layer aside while you make the filling.
7. For the chocolate cream: Put the milk and syrup in a large saucepan and add the cocoa powder and agar. Whisk and bring to the boil over medium heat. As soon as it comes to the boil, lower the heat before it bubbles over. Now boil gently for 45 minutes.
8. Mix the cornflour into 3 tablespoons cold water. Add the chocolate to the hot cream, whisking vigorously until completely melted, then lower the heat to its lowest and slowly add the cornflour mixture, still whisking vigorously. Bring to the boil, and then remove from the heat. Allow to cool and thicken slightly about 20 minutes.
9. Whisk just to mix and then divide in half. Ladle one portion of the warm cream on top of the cake layer in its sealed cake pan. Allow to set for 10 minutes or until a thin film forms on the top, then carefully cover with the second cake layer.
10. Wait for a couple of minutes, then slowly ladle the second portion of cream on top. Allow to cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
11. When you are ready to serve, slide a spatula between the cake and the pan to loosen it. Release the pan. The cake should be nice and firm, with a shiny cream all around it. Decorate with chocolate shavings and cut into slices with a sharp knife dipped in hot water.
Love this? See lots more vegan recipes.
Rate This Recipe