- Serves: 4
- Effort: easy
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 stick celery
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small leek, finely sliced
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 x 400 g tinned kidney beans, washed and drained
- 200 g brown rice, boiled
- 1 small bunch of flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 eggs
- chilli oil, for drizzling
1. Sauté the carrot, onion, celery, garlic and leek in 3 tablespoons of the olive oil, until soft - this should take about 5-10 minutes.
2. Add the kidney beans and rice and mash everything together. Scatter over the parsley, and season to taste. Cool a little before shaping the mixture into round patties, about 4cm in diameter and 1cm thick.
3. Heat a griddle over a medium heat with the remaining olive oil. Fry the vegetable burgers on both sides for about 3-4 minutes on each side, until golden.
4. Bring a pan of salted water to the boil. Break in the egg and poach in simmering water until the white is just set.
5. Place 2 burgers in the centre of each plate and top with a poached egg. Drizzle with chilli oil before serving.
Rate This Recipe