- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- olive oil, for frying
- 1/2 Spanish onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 red peppers, de-seeded and chopped
- 1 courgette, cut into small chunks
- 2 aubergines, cut into small chunks
- 4 beefsteak tomatoes, cut into cubes
- 400 g flat mushrooms, chopped
- 500 ml tomato juice
- 2 canned or jarred tinned anchovies
- 25 g pitted black olives, chopped
- black pepper
- 1 handful of pine kernels, toasted
- 1 1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- juice of 1 lemons
- a handful of basil
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunches baby rocket
- 4 thick slices goats' cheese, (approx 15cm in width)
1. Pour olive oil into a large, heavy-based saucepan so that it reaches 2cm up the sides of the pan and gently heat through.
2. Add the onion and garlic and fry gently until translucent.
3. Add the red pepper, courgette, aubergine, beef tomato and mushrooms. Cook gently for 20-25 minutes, stirring now and then.
4. Add the anchovy fillets and black olives. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper, bearing in mind the saltiness of the anchovies.
5. Add the tomato juice and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and cook gently for a further 20 minutes.
6. Transfer the vegetable mixture to a large bowl. Mix in the pine nuts, half a tablespoon of white wine vinegar, the lemon juice and basil, mixing well.
7. Divide the mixture among four serving plates. Sprinkle with basil.
8. Mix together the remaining white wine vinegar and the extra-virgin olive oil to make a dressing. Season lightly with salt and freshly ground pepper.
9. Toss the rocket with the dressing and layer over the vegetable mixture.
10. Preheat the grill.
11. Place the goats' cheese slices on an oiled baking sheet.
12. Grill the goats' cheese until golden brown.
13. Place the grilled goats' cheese on top of the vegetable mixture and serve at once.
Rate This Recipe