- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1.0833333333333333 hours 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 4 - 4 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large or 2 medium aubergine
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 3 clove garlic, minced
- 4 tomatoes, skinned, seeded, and chopped
- handful of breadcrumbs
- 12-16 black olives, pitted and chopped
- 2 red peppers, roasted, peeled and seeded
- 175 g sheep's cheese, such as Brebis), grated
- salt, and freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat oven to 200°C/gas 6. Brush or rub a baking sheet with 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil.
2. Place the aubergine slices on the oiled baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, turning the slices over halfway through, until the aubergine is softened through. Set the aubergine aside and reduce the oven temperature to 180°C/gas 4.
3. Over medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a heavy-based frying pan. Add in 1 sliced onion and fry, stirring often, until soft and translucent, around 5 minutes.
4. Add in the garlic, and fry for another 1-2 minutes. Remove and set aside.
5. Add the tomatoes and remaining onion to the frying pan and fry on medium low heat until the onion is wilted and tomatoes are thick and mushy, around 10 minutes. The resulting mixture should resemble a thick, coarse sauce. Set aside.
6. Place the breadcrumbs in a bowl and toss with the remaining olive oil.
7. Lightly oil a 500g loaf tin. Layer the ingredients in the loaf tin, starting with the fried onion, then the aubergine, olives, tomato and onion mixture and roasted pepper and ending with an even layer of sheep's cheese. Season the layers with salt and freshly ground pepper. Repeat this process, ending with cheese, then top with the oiled breadcrumbs.
8. Bake for 30 minutes, until breadcrumbs are browned. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving, if serving hot. Serve hot or cold.
Rate This Recipe