- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 55 g butter
- 175 g rashers of streaky bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 200 g carrots, peeled and sliced
- 100 g mushrooms, (chestnut have a good flavour)
- 1 bay leaf
- 450 g white rice, preferably basmati
- 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 120 g spinach leaves
- 120 g fresh peas
- 200 g broccoli florets, blanched
1. Preheat oven to 190°C/gas 5.
2. Place a non-stick casserole (or oven-proof pan) over medium heat on the hob. Heat the olive oil and butter and sweat off the bacon, onion, garlic, carrots, mushrooms and bay leaf for 6-10 minutes until softened.
3. Add the rice, stir to combine and then pour in boiling water, at a ratio of two cups (1 cup = 225g) of water to each cup of rice (this is called the absorption method) so for 450g (2 cups) of rice you'll need 4 cups of water. Cover the saucepan and place in oven for 30 minutes or until the rice is al dente.
4. Remove from the oven and add the canned chopped tomato and the spinach, folding them into the rice. Fold in the peas and broccoli florets and allow to heat through over a gentle heat on the hob for a few minutes.
Rate This Recipe