- Serves: 1
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the meatballs
- 50 g butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 280 g pork sausage meat
- 50 g mature cheddar cheese, grated, plus a little extra to serve
- 30 g breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 5 tomatoes, roughly chopped
For the vegetable spaghetti
- extra virgin rapeseed oil, for frying
- 2 large carrots, sliced into julienne strips using a mandoline
- 2 courgettes, sliced into julienne strips using a mandoline
- 4 fresh sage leaves
1. For the meat balls: melt the butter in a pan until foaming, then fry the onion with a pinch of salt. Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until softened.
2. Mix half of the onion with the sausage meat, grated cheddar and breadcrumbs in a bowl until well combined. With damp hands, pinch pieces of the meatball mixture and roll into balls a little smaller than golf balls.
3. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and fry the meatballs, in batches, for 3-4 minutes, turning occasionally, until browned all over.
4. While the meatballs are cooking, blend the tomatoes in a food processor and strain through a fine sieve. Discard the solids and reserve the strained juice.
5. Pour the strained tomato juice into the pan with the meatballs and add the remaining cooked onions. Cook for 8-10 minutes over a medium-low heat, or until the tomato juice has reduced down and coats the meatballs.
6. For the vegetable spaghetti: heat the rapeseed oil in a frying pan and gently fry the vegetable strips with the sage leaves for 3-4 minutes, or until tender.
7. To serve, divide the vegetable spaghetti among four serving plates and spoon the meatballs in tomato sauce over the top. Sprinkle with some extra grated cheese and serve.
Rate This Recipe