- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the tagine
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 1/2 tsp cloves
- 3 tbsp coriander seeds
- a little olive oil
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 large Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 100 g ginger, grated
- 1 red chilli, seeds removed and chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2-2 x 400 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 75 g medjool dates, chopped
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1cm pieces
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 celeriac
- 150 g spinach leaves
- 1 handfuls coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp harissa
For the pomegranate salsa
- 1 pomegranate, seeds only
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 lime, juice only
- 1 handfuls mint, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 350 g couscous
- preserved lemons
Tips and Suggestions
Pickled lemons are available from delicatessens. This recipe is a favourite of actor Woody Harrelson.
1. To make the tagine; toast the cinnamon sticks, cloves and coriander seeds in a dry frying pan until their aroma rises. Grind finely using a pestle and mortar or a coffee grinder.
2. Heat a little olive oil in a heavy-based pan and add the ground spices and turmeric. Stir briefly.
3. Add the onion and cook gently for a few minutes, then add the ginger, chilli and garlic.
4. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes, until the flavours are well blended.
5. Add the tomatoes, dates and all the vegetables except the spinach. Cover the pan and simmer gently for 40 minutes.
6. Fold the spinach, coriander, chickpeas and harrissa into the vegetable tagine Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. To make the pomegranate salsa; mix all the ingredients together well. This will keep in the fridge for up to a week.
8. To make the couscous; Pour boiling water over the couscous to cover. Cover and stand for 10 minutes until the water has been absorbed.
9. To serve; arrange the vegetable tagine on plates.
10. Put mounds of the couscous on the side of each plate and sit 2-3 pickled baby lemons on top of the couscous.
11. Splash the pomegranate salsa around each plate.
Rate This Recipe