- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 225 g barley
- 175 g tinned butter beans, drained weight
- 2 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 tbsp plain flour, seasoned with black pepper
- 350 g potatoes, unpeeled finely sliced
- 850 ml vegetable stock
For the orange salad
- 4 oranges, peeled and sliced horizontally
- 18 black olives, pitted and halved
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp roughly chopped mint
- 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tbsp paprika, plus more to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish and gently soften the onion and garlic on a medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add the barley, beans and parsley.
3. Sprinkle the seasoned flour over the vegetables, while still on the heat. Layer the potatoes on top of the vegetables and pour over the stock. Cover with a lid or aluminium foil, and cook for 50 minutes.
4. For the salad, arrange the oranges on a serving plate and scatter over the olives. Whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, mint, cumin and paprika. Pour this dressing over the salad, adding an extra pinch of paprika to garnish. Divide the cholent between 6 dinner plates and accompany with the orange salad.
Rate This Recipe