- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 100 g onions, finely chopped
- 15 ml sunflower oil
- 50 g carrots, very finely chopped
- 35 g mushrooms, finely chopped
- 50 g Puy lentils
- 600 ml vegetable stock
- 25 g canned red kidney beans, mashed
- 35 g ground peanuts
- 25 g ground hazelnuts
- ½ tbsp shoyu sauce
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 generous pinches cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 200 g fine oatmeal
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5.
2. Sauté the onion in the oil for 5 minutes, then add the carrot and mushrooms and cook for a further 5 minutes.
3. Add the lentils and three quarters of the stock.
4. Blend the mashed red kidney beans in the remaining stock, add these to the pan with the nuts, shoyu, lemon juice and seasonings. Cook everything, well mixed together, for a further 10-15 minutes.
5. Add the oatmeal, reduce the heat and simmer gently for 15-20 minutes, adding a little extra liquid if necessary.
6. Turn the mixture into 4 lightly oiled pudding tins and bake in the centre of the oven for 20-25 minutes.
7. Serve with mashed neeps (swede) and tatties (potatoes), green veg and onion gravy.
© The Vegetarian Society (recipe created by the Cordon Vert cookery school) www.vegsoc.org
Rate This Recipe