- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 150 g bacon, finely chopped
- 100 g veal escalope or chicken breasts
- 1 duck liver or 2 chicken liver, trimmed, washed, dried and chopped
- a handful of parsley, chopped
- 1 stale white crusty bread roll, crust removed, grated
- 4 macaroons or amaretti biscuits
- 5 tbsp marsala
- 1 tbsp finely grated parmesan
- black pepper
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 x 2kg oven-ready duck, boned
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 sprigs of rosemary, leaves removed and chopped
- 250 ml dry white or red wine
For the Salsa Peverada:
- 3 salted anchovies, boned, rinsed and finely chopped
- 115 g chicken livers, trimmed, washed, dried and finely chopped
- 2 rashers unsmoked back bacon, finely chopped
- grated zest of 1 lemons
- 1 clove garlic
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- black pepper
- 4 amaretti biscuits
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
2. First prepare the stuffing for the duck. Set aside 25g of the bacon and mix the remainder with the minced veal or chicken, the duck or chicken livers, parsley and breadcrumbs.
3. Stir the crumbled amaretti into the Marsala until thoroughly soaked, then add to the bacon mixture.
4. Mix in the Parmesan, season with salt and freshly ground pepper and bind with the egg yolk.
5. Spoon the mixture into the duck and sew it closed with cook's string.
6. Blend together the olive oil, a little salt, the rosemary and reserved chopped bacon.
7. Place the duck into a lightly oiled roasting tin and spread the rosemary mixture all over the duck.
8. Roast the duck in the oven for 1 and a half hours, basting frequently with the wine and skimming off excess fat. Remove from the oven and set aside to rest, keeping warm.
9. While the duck is resting make the salsa. Place the anchovies, chicken liver, bacon, lemon rind, garlic and olive oil in a small saucepan. Simmer gently for 15 minutes, stirring often.
10. Discard the garlic clove, stir in the wine vinegar and season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
11. Carve the duck into thick slices. Mix the crumbled amaretti into the salsa and serve it with the duck.
Rate This Recipe