- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1.25 kg venison steaks, trimmed and cut into 2.5 cm pieces
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 3 onions, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 raw beetroot
- 850 ml rich beef or venison stock
- 150 ml port
- 150 ml crème fraîche
- freshly ground salt and black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. Season the flour with salt and pepper and place in a plastic bag with the venison. Shake to coat the pieces meat.
3. Heat the oil in a heavy casserole dish and brown the venison for 3-4 minutes, on all sides. Transfer the meat to a warm dish.
4. Add the onions to the pan and cook for 4-5 minutes, until they are soft and just turning golden at the edges.
5. Stir in the garlic and beetroot, and cook for several minutes, stirring from time to time.
6. Stir in any flour left in the bag.
7. Add the stock and port and bring the mixture up to a simmer. Cover with a lid and transfer to the oven. Cook for 1½ hours.
8. Serve straight from the oven, with a dollop of crème fraiche on each portion.
Rate This Recipe