- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 200 g venison fillets
- drizzle olive oil
- 2 raw beetroot
- oil, for deep frying
- 4 handfuls seasonal salad leaves
- 2 tbsp toasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
For the dressing
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
1. Drizzle the venison with olive oil and season with pepper. Allow to sit while you prepare the other ingredients.
2. For the dressing: mix all the dressing ingredients together in a jar, shake to mix and season.
3. In a deep fryer (or a deep frying pan with 4 cm hot oil) fry the beetroot slices until crisp. Drain on kitchen paper and season. Do not cover otherwise the beetroot will go soggy.
4. Heat a griddle pan over a high heat, and allow to get really nice and hot, it should be just smoking. Season the venison with salt and cook on the hot griddle, about 2 minutes on each side. When it is cooked, take it off the pan and allow to rest for a minute then slice into 1/2 cm slices.
5. Toss the salad leaves with the dressing and arrange on plates. Arrange the slices of venison over the top and sprinkle with the toasted hazelnuts and the slices of crisp beetroot.
Rate This Recipe