- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 venison sausages
- 50 g unsalted butter, diced, chilled
- 175 g wild mushrooms, sliced
- 100 ml sweet sherry, preferably Amontillado
- 100 ml beef or game stock
- tsp butter
For the cauliflower puree
- 1 small cauliflower, broken into florets
- 600 ml milk
- 50 ml double cream
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Heat the oil in an ovenproof frying pan and fry the sausages for 1-2 minutes, until just sealed. Transfer the pan to the oven and continue cooking the sausages for 15-20 minutes, depending on their size. Give the pan an occasional shake to ensure they cook evenly.
2. While the sausages are in the oven, make the cauliflower puree. Place the cauliflower florets in a pan and pour over the milk. Season with salt and simmer for 10-12 minutes, over a low heat, until tender. Drain the florets, reserving any cooking liquid.
3. Place the cooked cauliflower in a food processor and add about 6 tablespoons of the cooking liquid along with the cream and butter. Season with salt and white pepper, and process to make a smooth puree. Add a little more cooking liquid if the puree looks too thick - it should be a soft dropping consistency. If you're not using the puree straight away, cover with plastic wrap and leave on one side.
4. Remove the sausages from the pan and keep warm while you make your sauce.
Add the mushrooms to the same pan and fry over a high heat for a 2-3 minutes, until tender, before tipping out onto a plate; set aside.
Rate This Recipe