- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 3 hours 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 12 hrs marinating
- Effort: easy
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- small handful rosemary
- small handful thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 bottles red wine
- 100 ml sherry vinegar
- 400 g venison steaks, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 100 g dark chocolate
1. Place the venison in a large non-reactive bowl. Mix together the leeks, carrots, onion, rosemary, thyme, bay leaves, coriander seeds, red wine and sherry vinegar.
2. Pour over the venison and leave to marinade for 12 hours in the fridge.
3. Remove the meat and vegetables separately from the marinade using a slotted spoon and reserve the marinade. Heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and fry the venison for 3-4 minutes, until nicely browned all over.
4. Heat the remaining olive oil in a separate pan and fry the vegetables lightly for 3-4 minutes. Add the meat to the vegetables.
5. Stir in the marinade and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and stir in the grated chocolate. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper and cook over a low heat for 3 hours. Serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe