- Serves: 1
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 70-140 g venison fillets, or sirloin, well-trimmed and very finely chopped
- 1 tbsp capers, very finely chopped
- 3 baby gherkins, very finely chopped
- ½ shallots, very finely chopped
- Worcestershire sauce, to taste
- Dijon mustard, to taste
- tabasco, to taste
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 3 juniper berries
- 1 tbsp chopped tarragon
- 1 egg yolk
- watercress, to garnish
- 2 slices sourdough, toasted, to serve
1. Combine the venison, capers, gherkins and shallot in a bowl and mix with a wooden spoon. Add Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard and Tabasco sauce, to taste, and the tomato ketchup.
2. Crush the juniper berries using a pestle and mortar and add to the venison. Stir in the tarragon.
3. Spoon the mixture into a metal ring which you have set on a serving plate. Remove the ring and make a small indentation in the top of the tartare with a spoon. Carefully place the egg yolk in the indentation.
4. Garnish with watercress and serve with toasted sourdough bread.
Rate This Recipe