- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 350 g rashers of smoked streaky bacon, diced
- 1 tbsp corn oil
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 115 g fresh kernels of sweetcorn, or frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1/2 tsp dried red chilli flakes
- 350 g cornmeal, or polenta
- 350 g plain flour
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 150 ml milk
- 375 ml buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6 and lightly butter a 23cm square cake tin.
2. Add in the spring onion and fry for 5 minutes, stirring often.
3. Mix in the corn kernels and chilli, stirring to combine. Remove from direct heat and allow to cool slightly.
4. In a bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, and salt.
5. Add in the bacon mixture, the milk, buttermilk, eggs, maple syrup, black pepper and 1 tablespoon of the melted butter. Mix well.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin and brush the top with the remaining melted butter.
7. Bake until golden, 20-25 minutes. Serve warm.
Rate This Recipe