- Serves: makes one 20cm cake
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: medium
- oil, for greasing
- flour, for dusting
- 200 g butter
- 200 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 4 eggs
- 200 g self-raising flour, sifted
For the filling:
- strawberry jam
- 150 ml double cream, whipped
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5.
2. Grease and flour two 20cm sandwich tins.
3. Combine the butter, sugar and vanilla essence in a bowl or food processor, and mix well to a creamy consistency.
4. Slowly beat in the eggs one by one.
5. Fold in the sifted flour.
6. Pour the mixture into the prepared tins. Bake for 20-25 minutes until well-risen, golden brown and springy when pressed.
7. Turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool.
8. Spread one cake with strawberry jam, followed by a layer of whipped cream. Place the other cake on top.
Rate This Recipe