- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: medium
- 6 oysters
- 225 g rump steaks
- salt, and freshly ground pepper
- 30 g jasmine rice, par-boiled
- 100 g Chinese cabbage, shredded
- 100 g bean sprouts
- 2 long red chillies, deseeded and cut into strips
For the dressing:
- 2 red chillies
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 tbsp palm sugar
- juice of 2 limes
- 50 ml fish sauce
- 60 ml water
- 20 ml unsweetened rice vinegar
- 60 ml peanut oil
1. First make the dressing. In a pestle and mortar, pound the garlic and chillies to a paste.
2. Mix together the garlic chilli paste, palm sugar, lime juice, fish sauce and water.
3. Shuck the oysters and retain their juice.
4. Season the steak with salt and freshly ground pepper. Preheat a griddle until very hot. Griddle the steak for 1 minute each side, then set aside to rest. Trim off any fat and slice finely.
5. Heat a small frying pan until hot. Add in the rice and fry, stirring, for 3-5 minutes until the rice turns a golden brown. Cool, then grind finely in a pestle and mortar.
6. Toss the oysters in a little of the dressing.
7. In a separate bowl, toss together the sliced steak, Chinese cabbage, bean sprouts and sliced chillies in the remaining dressing.
8. Spoon the salad onto a large plate, top with the oysters and sprinkle with a little ground rice. Serve at once.
Rate This Recipe