- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the biscotti
- 2 eggs
- 180 g caster sugar
- 300 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 140 g whole almonds, roughly chopped
- 140 g pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
- 140 g hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 orange, finely grated zest only
For the Vin Santo cream
- 225 ml double cream
- 1 vanilla pod, split lengthways
- 3 tbsp icing sugar
- 3 tbsp Vin Santo or Moscato wine
- finely grated orange zest, to decorate
Tips and Suggestions
The left-over biscotti will keep well if stored in an airtight tin.
The biscotti are also traditionally served with a small glassful of Vin Santo for dipping into.
1. For the biscotti: preheat the oven to 150C/fan 130C/gas 2. Beat the eggs and sugar until pale and doubled in size. Stir in the flour, baking powder, nuts and orange zest to create a soft and slightly sticky dough.
2. Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead very briefly just until smooth. Shape the dough into a log. Place the log on a lightly oiled baking sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes or until pale golden and firm.
3. Slice the log into pieces while it is still warm, lay the pieces cut side up on the baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes or until golden and crisp, but not too brown.
4. For the Vin Santo cream: in a medium bowl, whisk the cream until it holds soft peaks.
Scrape in the vanilla seeds, then beat in the icing sugar and Vin Santo, continuing to whisk until the cream holds stiff peaks. Spoon into small glasses, decorate with a little orange zest and serve with the biscotti on the side.
Rate This Recipe