- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 3.25 hours 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 kg rump of veal, rolled
- black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- handfuls flat leaf parsley, roughly torn
- 150 ml olive oil
- 2.5 kg onions, sliced
- 1 stick celery
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 bouquet garni
- 200 ml white wine
1. Place the veal joint on a chopping board and using a sharp knife unroll it until the meat forms a long, flat piece. Place, skin side down and season with salt and pepper, rubbing well into the meat.
2. Scatter over the garlic and rosemary. Roll up again and secure with kitchen string.
3. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, add the veal and cook for 2-3 minutes on all sides.
4. Remove from the pan and set aside.
5. Add the onions, celery and carrot to the pan, season and stir well.
6. Add the bouquet garni and cook until the onions begin to soften.
7. Return the meat to the pan and cover with a lid. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 3 hours, until the meat is very tender. Check from time to time that it isn't sticking to the pan, stirring the onions and turning the meat.
8. After 3 hours, raise the heat, add the wine and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove the meat from the pan and set aside.
9. Mash the onions slightly using a potato masher. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
10. Slice the veal and serve with the onion sauce, penne and a green salad.
Rate This Recipe