- Serves: makes about 20
- Prep Time: 35 minutes plus 10 hrs marinating
- Effort: easy
- 15 g dill
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 200 g whole salmon
- 2 cooked beetroot
- 35 ml vodka
- ½ small red onions, finely diced
- 100 ml crème fraîche
- 1 pinches black pepper
- 1 loaf pumpernickel, rye or other bread
- 120 g jar black herring roe or other alternative caviar
1. Set aside some small sprigs of dill to use as a garnish and chop the remainder.
2. Mix half the chopped dill with the salt and sugar and cover both sides of the salmon with this mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours.
3. Grate the beetroot into a noncorrosive bowl and add the salmon and a generous slug of vodka. Marinate for another 6 hours, turning occasionally.
4. Mix the red onion and remaining chopped dill with the crème fraîche. Season the mixture with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
5. Cut the rye bread into small discs with a cookie cutter.
6. Remove the salmon from the marinade and slice finely.
7. Spread a little crème fraîche on the bread, top with a piece of salmon then garnish with caviar and tiny sprigs of dill. Serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe