- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 250 g frozen puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- 500 ml fish stock
- 5 g Dijon mustard
- 4 sole fillets, cut into chunks
- 225 g salmon, cut into chunks
- 24 tiger prawns, halved
- splash of white wine
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 24 mussels
- 85 g butter
- 50 g flour
- salt, and white pepper
- 225 g button mushrooms
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 egg yolk
- 75 ml double cream
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- handful of parsley, chopped
1. Set the oven to 200°C/gas 6. Roll out the puff pastry, and then cut out 8 circles, about 15cm in diameter. Cut a smaller circle out of the centre of 4 of them.
2. Lay the complete circles on a floured baking tray, brush with beaten egg, and then sit the 'holey' ones on top. Bake for about 15 minutes, until crisp and golden.
3. Pour the fish stock into a saucepan and add the lemon juice. Poach the sole fillets, salmon and prawns in the stock. Remove and keep warm.
4. In a separate pan, heat the wine and shallots together and cook the mussels until they begin to open, discarding any that do not fully open. Remove the flesh from the shells.
5. Melt 50g of the butter in a clean saucepan, add the flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly to make a roux. Remove from heat and beat in about 250ml warm fish stock and the mustard, a little at a time. Put back on heat, season and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
6. Melt 15g of butter in a frying pan and fry the mushrooms. Season and add the nutmeg, drain well.
7. Beat the egg yolk and cream together, and then mix into the roux. When smooth fold in the remaining butter. Add the fish and mushrooms.
8. Check the seasoning and then spoon into the vol au vents.
9. Cook for 5 minutes in the oven to warm through.
10. Serve with lemon wedges and parsley.
Rate This Recipe