- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 2 egg whites
- 50 g butter
- 70 g caster sugar
- 50 g '00' flour, sifted
- sachet of vanilla sugar
- 250 ml whipping cream
- icing sugar, for sifting
For the fruit salad:
- 2 kiwi fruit, peeled and sliced
- 2 bananas
- 2 peaches, skinned and sliced
- 1 papaya, peeled, de-seeded and cubed
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- freshly squeezed juice of 1 oranges
- 2 tbsp Cointreau
1. First make the fruit salad. In a large bowl, toss together the kiwi, banana, peach, papaya, caster sugar, orange juice and Cointreau. Set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
3. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
4. In a medium thick-based saucepan, gently melt the butter over a low heat. Mix in the caster sugar, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon.
5. Remove from direct heat and fold in half the beaten egg white.
6. Fold in the '00' flour and mix well. Fold in the remaining egg white, the vanilla sugar and 50 ml of the whipping cream.
7. Place tablespoons of the egg white mixture, spaced well apart, on baking sheets lined with baking parchment, making 12 wafers in all.
8. Bake for 5 minutes until golden. Remove and cool.
9. Whip the remaining cream until soft peaks form.
10. To serve, place a wafer on a serving plate, top with a tablespoon of whipped cream, then 2 tablespoons of the fruit salad. Repeat the process using 3 wafers per portion.
11. Dust with sifted icing sugar and serve at once.
Rate This Recipe