- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 225 g butter
- 225 g brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 225 g self-raising flour
- 50 g walnuts, chopped
- 2 tbsp strong Asian coffee
For the filling and topping:
- 65 g caster sugar
- 4 tsp water
- 2 egg yolks
- 165 g butter
- 12 walnut halves
- 1 tbsp strong Asian coffee
Tips and Suggestions
The asian coffee used in this recipe contains cardamom.
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C/gas 3.
2. First make the cake. In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until smooth, light and fluffy.
3. Add a little flour and then mix in the eggs, one at a time, mixing thoroughly.
4. Slowly fold in the remaining flour, and then the chopped walnuts and coffee.
5. Divide the mixture evenly between two greased, base-lined 20cm sandwich cake tins.
6. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until risen and set.
7. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
8. To make the filling and topping, place the sugar and water in a small saucepan, bring to the boil and boil for 10 minutes.
9. Whisk the yolks in a mixer and slowly pour the sugar syrup into the yolks, whisking as you do so. Whisk until cool.
10. Fold in the butter and coffee. Sandwich the two cakes together with the filing and spoon the remaining mixture on top of the cake. Garnish with the halved walnuts.
Rate This Recipe