- Serves: makes 1 loaf
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 1 hr rising
- Effort: easy
- 400 g strong wholemeal flour
- 110 g strong bread flour
- 30 g fresh yeast
- 15 g salt
- 255 ml water
- 85 g sultanas
- 85 g walnuts
- handful of blanched flaked almonds
1. Mix the flour, yeast, salt and water in a bowl with your hands until it becomes a soft, pliable dough.
2. Place the dough on to a lightly floured, flat surface and knead for five minutes. Return the dough to the bowl and leave to rise for an hour.
3. Preheat the oven to 200ºC/gas 6.
4. Break down the dough and mix the sultanas and walnuts into it.
5. Shape the dough into a loaf, and roll the loaf in the flaked almonds.
6. With a sharp knife, cut a line down the centre of the loaf. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
7. Bake the loaf for 30 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
8. Serve toasted or with Stilton cheese on the side.
Rate This Recipe