- Serves: 20-25
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: plus chilling
- Effort: hard
- 70 g butter
- 250 g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs, whites from
- 60 g flour
- 190 g ground walnuts
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the filling:
- 300 g mascarpone
- 3 tbsp brandy
- 20 g icing sugar
1. First make the cannoli cases. Gently melt the butter in a small saucepan.
2. Blend the sugar and egg whites in a food processor. Slowly add the flour, mixing for about 5 minutes. Make sure there are no lumps.
3. Gently trickle the butter into the mixture.
4. Add the walnuts and vanilla and whizz to mix.
5. Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Cover and put in the fridge for at least 2 hours or preferably overnight.
6. Combine the mascarpone and sugar in a mixing bowl, then stir in the brandy. Cover and chill until needed.
7. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Line three or four baking sheets with baking parchment.
8. Drop large spoonfuls of the cannoli mixture onto the baking sheets, spacing them widely. Use the back of the spoon to spread into thin circles 7-8cmin diameter.
9. Bake in batches for 8-10 minutes until slightly brown. Remove from the oven and immediately roll each circle loosely round a thick wooden spoon handle to make a tube. If the circles harden before they are shaped, return to the oven to soften.
10. Complete baking and shaping each batch. Leave until completely cool before filling.
11. Fill the tubes with the mascarpone mixture, using a slim teaspoon or a small piping bag. Serve while still crisp.
Rate This Recipe