- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 2 hours 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the meringue
- 3 large egg whites
- 75 g granulated sugar
- 75 g demerara sugar
- 50 g walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
For the filling
- 300 ml double cream, whipped
- 250 g lemon curd
- 1 tbsp icing sugar, sieved, for decoration
For the compote
- 900 g brambles
- 600 ml water
- 1 lemon, grated zest and juice
- 1 cinnamon stick, (optional)
- 175 g light brown sugar, (or to taste)
1. Preheat the oven to 140C/gas ½. Line 1 large or 2 smaller baking trays with baking parchment and mark out 2x20cm circles in pencil.
2. Whisk the egg whites until stiff.
3. Combine the granulated and demerara sugars together.
4. Gradually whisk the combined sugars into the egg whites, a spoonful at a time, until all the sugar has been incorporated and the meringue is stiff.
5. Fold the chopped walnuts quickly and thoroughly through the meringue using a large metal spoon.
6. Divide the meringue between the two marked circles and smooth evenly. Bake for 2-2 ½ hours, until dry and crisp. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
7. Sandwich the meringues together with the whipped cream and lemon curd. Transfer to a serving plate and dust with icing sugar.
8. Meanwhile, to make the compote, put the brambles into a saucepan with the water, lemon rind and juice and cinnamon stick (if you using). Cook the brambles over a moderate heat, for about 3-4 minutes, until the juices start to run.
9. Add the sugar and cook for a further 2-3 minutes, until the sugar has dissolved. Remove the cinnamon stick and pour the contents of the pan into a bowl.
10. Serve the meringue in generous slices with warm or room temperature bramble compote.
Rate This Recipe