- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus 1 hour 30 mins resting time
- Effort: easy
For the pastry
- 250 g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 75 g icing sugar
- 180 g butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
For the filling
- 700 g walnuts
- 100 g dark brown sugar
- 40 g plain flour
- 6 eggs
- 6 oranges, or blood oranges, juice only, plus the grated zest from 2 of the oranges
- 8 tbsp clear honey
- 1/2 vanilla pod, split in half lengthways and seeds scraped out
- vanilla ice cream, to serve
1. For the pastry: put the flour, icing sugar and butter into a food processor and pulse together until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the yolks and pulse for 10 seconds then tip the mixture into a mixing bowl and bring together into a ball using your hands. Cover and transfer to the fridge to rest for an hour.
2. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured work surface to the thickness of about 3mm then use to line the base and sides of 23cm flan ring. Transfer to the fridge to rest for a further half an hour.
3. Preheat the oven to 150C/130C fan/gas 2. Line the pastry case with a sheet of greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans then bake blind for 15 minutes, or until the edges are golden. remove the baking beans and paper and return to the oven for a further 5-10 minutes until the base is golden then remove from the oven and brush the base with the beaten egg.
4. For the filling: tip the walnuts onto a baking tray and roast for 10 minutes, or until lightly toasted. When cool enough to handle, rub them together to remove some of the papery skins, then scatter them into the pastry case.
5. In a large mixing bowl combine the sugar and flour then whisk in the eggs followed by the orange juice and zest, vanilla and honey.
6. Pour the mixture over the walnuts and bake for 20-30 minutes until firm. Leave to cool slightly in the tin before removing from the tin and cutting into slices. Serve warm or at room temperature with vanilla ice cream.
Rate This Recipe