- Serves: 8
- Cook Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 1 hr resting plus cooling
- Effort: easy
- 250 g plain flour
- 125 g butter, cut into small cubes
- 75 g icing sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 50 ml water, (approx)
For the Filling:
- 200 g vanilla sugar
- 340 g golden syrup
- 60 g unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200 g walnut halves
- whipped vanilla cream, to serve
1. First make the pastry. In a food processor blend together the flour, butter and icing sugar until blended.
2. Add the egg yolk and water and blend until the mixture forms a ball of dough.
3. Wrap the dough in cling film and rest in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
4. Preheat the oven to 170ºC/Gas 3.
5. Roll out the pastry to 2mm thickness and use it to line a buttered and floured loose-based 25cm metal flan tin.
6. Prick the bottom of the tart with a fork and bake blind for 15-20 minutes. Once cooked set aside to cool thoroughly.
7. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/Gas 4.
8. To make the filling place the vanilla sugar, golden syrup, melted butter and flour in a mixing bowl and blend together thoroughly using an electric whisk.
9. Add the salt, eggs and vanilla extract and mix well. Fold the walnuts into the mixture.
10. Pour the walnut mixture into the blind-baked pastry case.
11. Bake the walnut tart for 45 minutes until the filling has set.
12. Serve the tart from the oven with Cinnamon Syrup or whipped vanilla cream.
Rate This Recipe