- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 globe artichokes
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sujuk sausage, halved lengthways then sliced 1cm thick
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and whole
- 100 g broad beans, either defrosted or blanched and refreshed
- handful mint leaves, whole
- large handful rocket
- 1 lemon
Tips and Suggestions
If you can't find sujuk sausage, use chorizo instead.
1. Get an iced bowl of lemon water ready then strip the artichokes down to the naked hearts by pulling off the surrounding leaves - watch Allegra demonstrate how in her expert video on how to prepare an artichoke
2. Cover the artichoke hearts with the lemon water to stop them browning and cut into strips.
3. Heat half the oil in a thick-bottomed pan over a medium high heat and fry the artichoke hearts for 5 minutes, turning them half way through.
4. Add the sausage and garlic and continue to fry for around another 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
5. Once the sausage and garlic are nicely browned on all sides and the artichoke is cooked but still has bite, use a slotted spoon to move them all onto a piece of kitchen roll. Leave for a minute, then tip into a big bowl.
6. Add the broad beans, mint leaves, rocket, salt and pepper, the juice of half a lemon and the remaining extra virgin olive oil. Toss thoroughly but gently.
7. Transfer onto a serving dish and serve with the other half of the lemon cut into wedges.
Rate This Recipe