- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the chocolate gateaux
- 115 g dark chocolate, chopped
- 115 g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 3 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 50 g caster sugar
- 50 g plain flour
For the cherry compote
- 400 g tinned cherries, in syrup in syrup
- 3 tbsp cherry jam
For the kirsch cream
- 150 ml double cream
- 1-2 tbsp kirsch
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- dark chocolate
- icing sugar
Tips and Suggestions
You don't have to bake the gateaux immediately. Prepare them in advance, if preferred, and store the filled ramekins in the fridge - just make sure you return them to room temperature before cooking.
You could melt the chocolate and butter together in a microwave oven at a low temperature.
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5. Butter 6 ramekin dishes.
2. To make the gateaux, melt the chocolate and butter together in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water, then leave to cool slightly.
3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the whole eggs, egg yolks and sugar with an electric whisk until the mixture has doubled in volume. Sift the flour straight into the bowl, then add the melted chocolate mixture and fold together.
4. Spoon the cake mixture into the greased ramekins and bake for 10 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, make the compote. Strain the syrup from the cherries into a small saucepan, place over a medium-low heat, add the cherry jam and heat gently, stirring until you have a thick cherry sauce. Add the cherries and heat until they are just warmed through.
6. For the kirsch cream, whisk together the cream, kirsch and caster sugar together in a large mixing bowl until the mixture forms soft peaks when the whisk is lifted from the bowl.
7. Turn the chocolate sponges out onto serving plates and grate or shave (using a vegetable peeler) a little dark chocolate over each one. Dust with icing sugar. Spoon the cherry compote and a dollop of kirsch cream next to the sponges and serve straight away.
Rate This Recipe