- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 175 g spinach leaves
- 2 tsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 shallots, quartered
- 1 tbsp thyme, leaves only
- 2 rashers back bacon, cut into strips
- 350 g calves' liver, or chicken liver
- 24 button mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tbsp pine kernels
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ground black pepper
1. Wash and dry the baby spinach leaves and divide between 4 plates.
2. Heat the butter and olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a low heat. Tip in the shallots and fry until brown. Add the thyme, bacon and liver and increase the heat to medium. Cook the liver for about 5 minutes; it should be brown on all sides, but still pink in the centre.
3. Remove the liver, shallots and bacon from the pan and keep warm. Turn the heat off, add the mushrooms to the same pan, and season with black pepper. Stir well to coat the mushrooms with the meaty juices, divide into 4 portions and spoon over the spinach.
4. Return the pan to the heat and add the pine nuts. Stir and fry until golden. Scatter the nuts over the individual portions of salad.
5. Add the vinegar to the pan, turn off the heat, and stir to scrape up any sediment. Drizzle the warm dressing over each salad and serve straight away.
Rate This Recipe