- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the pesto
- 2 cloves garlic
- large handful parsley, roughly chopped
- 30 g pine kernels
- 150 ml Greekextra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the salad
- 6 large beef tomatoes, (or substitute 12 15 large plum tomatoes)
- handfuls basil
- 450 g Greek feta cheese
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 18 pitted black Kalamata olives, in olive oil
- small basil
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 lemons, juice only
1. For the pesto, put the garlic and parsley in a blender; add the nuts and oil and whiz until smooth. Season to taste and set aside.
2. Skin the tomatoes, by cutting a cross in the base of each tomato and plunging them into boiling water for 20 seconds. Remove the tomatoes with a slotted spoon and drop them straight into iced water. The skin should peel off easily. Cut them into slices the thickness of a pound coin.
3. Preheat the oven to 170C/gas 3.
4. Put 6 egg poaching rings onto a baking tray and place a layer of tomato on the bottom; making sure the base is well covered. Season and spoon a little pesto on top.
5. Add a couple of basil leaves and a layer of sliced feta. Repeat the layers again, finishing with a layer of feta.
6. Drizzle with a little olive oil and bake about 10-12 minutes to warm through, browning the tops under a hot grill if desired.
7. Remove from the oven and transfer to warmed serving plates.
8. Scatter the olives and basil around the bottom, drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice and serve straight away.
Rate This Recipe