- Serves: 2-4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 kg live mussels
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 225 ml white wine
- 100 g lardons of bacon
- 150 ml orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 200 ml olive oil
- 1 head frisée, roughly shredded
- 1 head radicchio, roughly shredded
- 1 orange, peeled and cut into segments, zest grated and set aside
- 6 large green olives
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- black pepper
1. Scrub the mussels well, discarding any open ones.
2. Place the mussels in a large saucepan with the shallots, bay leaf and white wine. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 5 minutes until the mussels have opened.
3. Remove the mussels from their shells, discarding any that haven?t opened and set aside.
4. While the mussels are cooking, fry the bacon lardons on their own fat in a small, heavy-based frying pan until cooked.
5. In a small saucepan boil 120ml of orange juice until reduced by half.
6. Remove from the heat and whisk in the olive oil. Stir in the remaining orange juice.
7. Warm the orange juice in a large saucepan. Add the musssels and cook over a high heat for 2 minutes.
8. Meanwhile, in a large serving bowl toss together the frisee radicchio, orange segments and zest, olives and vinegar.
9. Toss in the warm mussels and the orange dressing and the bacon lardons. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper and serve at once.
Rate This Recipe