- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 30 minutes plus 20 minutes resting
- Effort: easy
For the pastry base
- 175 g ready-to-roll puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp milk, to glaze
For the rhubarb
- 3 sticks rhubarb, (about 450g), cut into 3cm pieces on the diagonal
- 150 g brown sugar
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 1 tbsp grenadine
For the streusel
- 75 g plain flour
- 75 g golden brown sugar
- 75 g toasted hazelnuts, kernels, toasted
- 75 g cold butter, diced
- 2 tsp grated zest of lemons, or lime
For the mascarpone mix
- 150 g mascarpone
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- squeeze lemon juice
- double cream
1. For the pastry base: roll out the pastry to 0.5cm thick in a pizza-shaped round, about 30cm in diameter. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes and preheat the oven to 190C/Gas 5.
2. Trim the edges of the chilled pastry with a sharp knife to make a neat circle, lay it on a baking tray and prick all over the surface with a fork to stop it puffing up too much.
3. Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until the pastry starts to turn golden-brown. Remove from the oven, cool slightly and brush with the melted butter. Keep the oven on.
4. For the rhubarb: toss the rhubarb with the sugar and lemon juice in a sheet of aluminum foil, wrap the foil up and transfer to the oven for 15-20 minutes. Keep the oven on once youve removed the rhubarb.
5. Drain the rhubarb liquid in a sieve and reserve the rhubarb and liquid you should have about 110ml of juice. Set both aside.
6. For the streusel: put all the streusel ingredients into a food processor and pulse until the mixture is the consistency of coarse breadcrumbs. Set aside.
7. For the mascarpone mix: mix all the ingredients together in bowl until smooth. Put this to one side.
8. To serve, spread the rhubarb over the pastry to within about 0.5cm of the edges.
Sprinkle the mascarpone mix in clumps over the rhubarb and then sprinkle the streusel generously over the top.
9. Return to the oven and bake until the top is golden-brown and crisp - a further 20 minutes or so. Cut into individual portions serve with a dollop of cream.
Rate This Recipe