- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: easy
- 3 aubergines
- 60-90ml olive oil
- 100 ml dry vermouth or white wine
- black pepper
- 3 tbsp red or white wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 large red chilli, chopped
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 200 g Puy lentils, cooked
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- spinach leaves, washed and dried
- 200 g chilled camembert, sliced into strips
- 4 tsp pomegranate molasses
- handful of fresh mint leaves, chopped
1. Brush each aubergine slice on both sides with olive oil.
2. Heat a griddle pan until very hot. Lay the aubergines in the pan and cook each side until translucent and striped with black. Allow to cool, then cut into long strips.
3. Heat the remaining oil in a heavy-based frying pan over a moderate heat and spread the aubergines out evenly in the pan. Add the vermouth or wine. Season well with salt and freshly ground pepper and cook, stirring gently, until the wine has almost evaporated.
4. Add the vinegar and sugar to the pan and stir. Cook for a few more minutes, while the juices thicken and caramelise, then remove the pan from the heat. Put the aubergines in a bowl and allow to cool.
5. Add a touch more olive oil to the pan, heat through and toss in the chilli and spring onions. Stir-fry briefly, then add the cooked lentils, cumin, salt and pepper.
6. Make a bed of young spinach leaves on four heatproof serving plates. Top with the lentils, then pile on the sweet and sour aubergines and top with two slices of Camembert.
7. Preheat the grill. Place each plate under a hot grill until the cheese starts to melt.
8. Drizzle pomegranate molasses over the cheese and sprinkle with chopped mint. Serve.
Rate This Recipe