- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the battered fish
- 4 pin boned fish fillets
- 125 g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 150 ml beer
- 1 tsp wasabi, powder or paste
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
For the potato wedges
- 4 large potatoes, Desiree or kipfler
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ tbsp vegetable oil
For the tartare sauce
- 75 g mayonnaise
- 6 cornichons, finely chopped
- 1 tsp capers, finely chopped
- The juice of half a lemons
- ½ tsp paste wasabi
1. For the fish: Heat the oil in a large pot or wok. In a large bowl add the flour and salt. Make a well in the centre and start adding the beer. The consistency should be a little thinner than a pancake batter.
2. Dust each piece of fish in the extra flour and wasabi powder. Immediately place in batter, drain excess off and then place in hot oil until golden brown. Drain on some paper towel. Season with some more salt (mixed with a little wasabi powder) and lemon wedges.
3. For the potato wedges: wash potatoes thoroughly. Add to a saucepan of cold water, bring to the boil and cook for 15 minutes. Drain and let the potatoes cool slightly.
4. Cut the potatoes into wedges or large slices. On a medium to high heat, melt the butter and oil in a large frying pan and sauté the wedges until golden brown. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for another 10 minutes or until the wedges are crispy and soft inside. Season with salt.
5. For the tartare sauce: combine all ingredients.
Rate This Recipe