- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
- splash olive oil
- 1/2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium potato, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 4 bunches watercress, ends of stalks removed
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 1-2 tbsp freshly grated horseradish, to taste
1. Add a good splash of olive oil to a gently heated saucepan. Add the chopped onion and garlic and fry until softened, but not coloured.
2. Add the potato and stir well. Cook for another 5 minutes to soften the potato.
3. Remove the watercress leaves from the stalks and finely chop about 4 tablespoons of the stalks and 4 tablespoons of the leaves. Set the remaining watercress leaves aside.
4. Add the chopped stalks and leaves and the hot stock to the potatoes. Stir in 1-2 tablespoons of freshly grated horseradish. Cook until the potatoes are tender.
5. Slice the toasted cheese sandwich into 2cm squares.
6. Once the potato is cooked, add the remaining watercress leaves. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the watercress is just wilted.
7. Remove from the heat, cool slightly and blend until dark green and smooth using a hand-blender.
8. If necessary reheat the toasted cheese squares in a frying pan and reheat the soup over a low heat. Pour the soup into bowls and serve topped with the toasted cheese squares. Serve hot with a toasted cheese sandwich.
Rate This Recipe